After years of shame, woman with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome i

Everything you want to talk about.

After years of shame, woman with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome i

Postby HarryJenkins » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:28 am

When the hair started growing on her face in junior high, the bullies pounced.

They called her a man.
So Leah Jorgensen covered up, hiding her body under long-sleeved shirts with high necks and long pants, her uniform for more than a decade as hair grew excessively in places it normally doesn't on a woman's body
She told no one about the bullies and didn't tell her mother that she was shaving her face several times a day to get rid of the unwanted hair.
"I was too scared to tell the teacher what they were saying about me because then the teacher would have to know I had this hair that I was ashamed of and embarrassed by so I just kept it all inside," Jorgensen, now 33 and living in Madison, Wisc., told Inside Edition last month.
But look at her now.
Two years ago she decided to come out of hiding, revealing to friends that she has Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS, a common health problem caused by an imbalance of reproductive hormones, according to WomensHealth
A symptom of PCOS is "hirsutism," the growth of too much dark, coarse hair on the face, chin or parts of the body where men usually have hair. Hirsutism affects up to 70 percent of women with the syndrome, government officials estimate.
“Where doesn’t it grow?” she told Inside Edition. "It grows on my face, my chest, my stomach, my back, my arms, my legs, my toes. Pretty much everywhere."
As she has grown more confident talking about it, Jorgensen has raised her voice even louder in recent months. She posts photos of herself on her Instagram called HappyandHairy — she has more than 6,000 followers — and has a YouTube channel by the same name where she speaks directly to viewers about living with excess hair.
On Thursday she told her story on the British talk show, "This Morning," and found an enthusiastic, supportive international audience for her one-woman crusade.
HarryJenkins

Return to Off topic